disorder2order blog

Friday, March 6, 2015

Why the fitbit can make you more productive...

The fitbit was a popular gift this last holiday season. I know about 6 people that got one for Christmas. I didn't really understand what the big deal was, but from the sounds of things, it
comes down to awareness

That little band, strapped to your wrist, gives you a ton of information. It tells you how many steps you take (or don't take) each day, and how well you sleep each night, just to name a few.

So, about a couple of weeks ago, I decided to invest. I have to admit, I love it.
I  find myself being more mindful of taking a walk each day and loading my sleep log into my app. 

At first, it was fascinating to see that on days I didn't hit my step goal, I was a restless sleeper and sluggish the following day [duh, right!]. 

It's so clear to me that rest and exercise have a direct effect on our productivity! If I'm not rested, I don't think as clear and my brain processes things so much slower... therefore making me less productive.

Boston's Brigham and Women's Hospital did a study that resulted in people who limited their sleep to 5.6 hours each night took longer to preform tasks and find information quickly on your computer than when they had adequate sleep (1). I know that seems obvious, but I think we forget to be aware of just how much this impacts our day.



Some things you can do to help reduce your increase your exercise and sleep cycle to ultimately increase your productivity...

  • Park farthest from the door at your appointment or office
  • Choose the stairs over the elevator
  • While on the phone, pace or walk around your office
  • Track your sleep cycle, watch for patterns
  • Start by heading to bed just 15 minutes earlier
  • Take a nap during the day (Even a 20 minute nap can change your life)
  • Try a fitbit...
Finding that perfect balance of a healthy lifestyle takes constant effort... but, really... what doesn't take constant effort?