disorder2order blog

Friday, September 19, 2014

ScanSnap ix100 is my new favorite wireless + mobile device

Have you been wondering if a scanner is something you need to consider at home or in your business? 

Well, I'm here to tell you that having a good scanner can not only change your life but make you re-think your relationship with paper! 

ScanSnap, makers of amazing products such as the ix500 (which is the Cadillac of scanners) and s1100, has come out with a brand new, just released ix100! I'm here to tell you that this mobile scanning device can really become your next favorite wireless toy! Here are my thoughts...


Set Up + Installation: 
I have to say, the installation process was so simple and quick. It comes nicely packed with: your scanner, a USB cord, installation disc (which personally I love that so much more than downloading) and a Getting Started guide, which explains each step and takes all of about 10 minutes from start to finish.

Size: 
As you can see, it's so slim that it can easily fit in your work bag, desk drawer or nicely on your desk tucked into a corner. What I love most about it is that it's simple and small. I keep my ix100 on my desktop, alongside my laptop so I can quickly access it, or grab it to toss in my work bag.

The one thing I would love to see from Fujitsu, is a nice neoprene travel case for it, so when I stick it in my bag, I feel that it's protected from the elements of my bag! I'm sure it's out there... I just didn't see it yet.

Usage:
Using the ix100 is quite simple to use... and in fact it's as easy as 1-2-3. 

1. You open the paper feeder, and wait for the wireless connection.

Once your "blue lights" are on, and you see the pop up window noting that the "ix100 is ready to scan" you can begin scanning your documents.

2.  Load your single document into the feeder tray and hit the Scan/Stop button (and away they go). Doesn't get any easier than that. You can continue to load multiple sheets into the feeder tray to create a multiple page document if needed. 

3.  Once your done scanning, a pop up window will ask you what you want to do with this document. Now... this is my favorite part. Look at all the choices! You can email, save, fax, send to a device or any cloud based drive. 
Ah-MA-Zing! 


Wireless + Mobile Capabilities:
This is where I tend to find myself wondering about all the amazing ways I can use my scanner. The ix100 operates on a wireless platform, which in turn, when connected to your mobile device, can scan right to you iPad, tablet or smart phone.  The app is a little tricky to figure out I will admit, but once connected seems to work well (as long as your connection is working, your not connected to another device.. and most importantly... the battery is charged)! But really... isn't that the case with EVERY WIRELESS + MOBILE DEVICE?

Overall Comments:
I have to say... I really love Fujitsu's ScanSnap products. Easy navigation, simple set up and wealth of features allows any user to eliminate paper and scan away!