disorder2order blog

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

3 things to do before the new year...

My favorite day of the year will always be December 31st. There is something so exciting about knowing that the next time I wake up, it will be a brand new year. 

I love December 31st, not just because it's the last day of the year - but because there are 3 specific tasks that I tackle on that day. 

I can always count on December 31st to accomplish these few simple, yet important tasks. It's probably not a big deal to you - but to me it's what keeps our family organized. Often taking me anywhere from 2-3 hours of my day but so worth the time spent! Want to know what they are?

New Computer Files: It usually takes me about 30-40 minutes, but I take the time to create new file folders and/or documents for the new year. I review my current files on my computer, updating dates or creating an updated version of each document. If I have annual folders (i.e. photo files), I create the new folder so I'm all set to go when the year arrives. Taking care and organizing your computer files (Simply Fabulous Tips) is as important as your paper files... imagine never cleaning out a paper folder... ever. Leah over at Simply Fabulous Living has some great tips on how to get that done...

Purge Paper Files: My favorite task of all. This usually takes me about 60 minutes (I like to reminisce about the past year... things we purchased, trips we took...) while I sit on the floor, put on Pandora and sort through the paper files. We organize our files by month; so it's usually the 12 monthly folders plus a few miscellaneous files (i.e taxes, insurance, house papers etc.). I pull out each folder, sorting out important documents, memorabilia items I want to keep such as birthday cards or notes and things to toss. Piles look like: keep, shred, toss. All the files get put back into the drawer, empty and ready for the new year.

Shred. Shred. Shred: This task speaks for itself - I shred it all taking anywhere from 10-30 minutes depending on the pile. Still listening to Pandora I sit until it's done. Usually, we add the shredded paper into the compost bin (assuming it's all just paper) to get a little extra something out of that useless paper.

For me, starting the year off with a clean file drawer and my computer documents ready to go is worth every minute. Here are a few inspiring new year posts that I have enjoyed... Ellen Faye: Set yourself up for 2013, Aby Garvey: 3 questions to achieve your goals, and The Organising Queen: My year end goal process. Enjoy!

What do you like to have done before the new year begins?