disorder2order blog

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

2 ways to get yourself motivated

The feeling you get when you've completed something is like no other. The exhilaration of completion... when a project is done, checked off your list or maybe you organized something that was disorganized.

You might be wondering, why is this such an obstacle? Why is it so difficult to get organized? Well, in my opinion, the problem is not about it being hard. The problem is really about motivation. 

Think about weight loss. It's the same thing! We all know we need to loose 10 more pounds. We know we need to eat the right kinds of foods, get a certain amount of exercise, but yet we still order pizza on Friday night and miss our morning workout class because we are tired.

In my opinion, the problem always seems to lie in motivation. I don't have time, it's not important enough, I have other things to do etc., etc. We have these conversations in our heads and the bottom line is that we just aren't motivated  to make "it" important. Finding your motivation or your "sweet spot" might be a little easier than you think. Here are a couple ways I find my own motivation:

Small Bites: sometimes just doing a small action can make a bigger thing seem slightly easier. Breaking down tasks into smaller more manageable steps might give you those little 'bites' of success to keep your momentum moving forward!

Pair It Up: if there are things you know you need to do, but hate doing them. I find that pairing them up with something I enjoy makes the "UN-enjoyable" easier. Cleaning out my closet is one thing I hate to do, but I always like the feeling I get when all my cloths are clean and the laundry is done and put away. So I tackle an extra section of my closet when dealing with laundry. An extra 5 minutes can go a long way in my closet. (Yes, you heard me. My closet is always a mess)

As Michael Jordan has said, I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying! So be like Mike and give it a try!