disorder2order blog

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Daydreaming helps to achieve your goals

This past weekend, my husband and I celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary with a kid free weekend in Portland. It was probably one of the most relaxing weekends I've in a long time. We spent Saturday morning sipping coffee and watching the set up of Saturday Market (which was an impressive orchestration).

We must have sat there for an hour. I found myself daydreaming about things my husband and I have done in the past 10 years and the many things we want to do in the next 10 years.

As I sat there, I was reminded of an article I read recently in Martha Stewart's Living (Great Escape, Aug. 2011) on daydreaming. In the article, daydreaming was defined as "spontaneous thinking about something else other than the task at hand". The author said that the act of random mind wandering wasn't a bad thing. The article went on to say that daydreams "help you to hatch solutions to everyday issues or figure out how to take action on a bigger goal.." 

Isn't that exciting to think that daydreams give you permission to think about all those random things you want to do. Some of my best ideas have come out of one of those conversations... "someday I'm going to____."

We spend so much time meeting deadlines, focusing on the tasks at hand that we forget to let our minds wander. Lighten your brain a little today and give yourself permission to wander.